The Medical Council of India’s decision to cancel admission of 778 medical students in Puducherry has sparked blame game among various government authorities.

Chief minister V Narayanasamy blamed the MCI and a court-appointed Permanent Admission Committee (PAC) for the fiasco, while the lieutenant governor Kiran Bedi accused the state government of turning a blind eye to irregularities in private medical colleges.

The HT had first reported on September 13 that the MCI seconded the PAC’s report on large scale bungling in admission process and cancelled more than 70% admissions made last year in all seven private medical colleges in the state.

All the 778 candidates who have been discharged were in the second year of their MBBS course.

The MCI in a September 7 letter, cancelling the admissions, said the colleges “haven’t demonstrated any evidence of fairness and transparency in the admission process...”

The order was issued after Bedi complained that merit was sacrificed for money while giving the admission.

A probe ordered by her after receiving complaints from parents found that of the 1,200 students who joined the bachelor of medicine, bachelor of surgery, or MBBS, in 2016, 778 were admitted overlooking the top court’s directives on the national eligibility-cum-entrance test (NEET).

Talking to HT over phone from the state capital Pondicherry, Narayanasamy said that his government-appointed central admission committee (Centac) conducted counselling only for those who sought admission under the state quota.